Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Linking NET-S and NET-T; Week 7
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
                                                Images Taken From http://www.iste.org/



As one examines the NET-S and the NET-T standards, it is obvious they are intertwined; therefore, one must understand BOTH.  The most obvious way to thoroughly begin to understand something is to explore and act on it.  This is a cycle that will have a snowball affect on both teachers and students.  Teachers will begin to implement more technology, students will see teachers using more technology and begin to learn and want more technology integrated into their daily lessons, teachers will witness the students positive response and eagerness to learn and an adept ability to understand digital concepts quickly, students will begin to experiment on their own or formulate questions to ask teachers, teachers will explore, learn, experiment more.  When working together on the same team, both students and teachers can motivate each other while constantly learning.  Teachers need not be afraid that they might not know everything about technology, but just be confident enough to be honest and keep learning.

When creating my lesson plans I will incorporate NET-S and NET-T guidelines.  Even though I'm not using the GAME acronym,  I will be more conscientious because of our GAME assignment.  I have already met with my CTT (computer-technology-teacher) this week and outlined a plan of all the technology software programs I would like to use for the remainder of this year and for next year.  When I approached my CTT, I stated that it was my responsibility to expose and teach my students in their elementary years, the basics of certain software programs and technology in general, resulting in basic knowledge for my students when they move on to middle school. 

NETS standards for Teachers and Students definitely overlap. One of the most important things to keep in mind for all teachers is that no matter how tiny your step might be when integrating technology, it is better than not incorporating any technology at all.  Always keep in mind that you are still helping your students improve their literacy skills in this 21st century demanding world!


Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach (Laureate Education custom edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning. Chapters 8-16.


3 comments:

  1. I really like the visual representation of linking the NETS-S and NETS-T. You make some great points in your post. Teachers must push forward in the quest for technology literacy. As you state, it does not matter how small the steps are toward using technology with students, those steps must be taken for the good of the students. As teachers begin to increase their knowledge of the different technology tools available, their comfort and confidence level will increase as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great that you have gotten help from your computer technology teacher. One important thing that we as teachers need to remember is that we do not have to do everything on our own. I also think it is great that you are taking on the task of introducing your students to the technology basics at such an early age. I wish more teachers in my district would do the same because this would make my job (on the secondary level) easier.

    Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you've noted that it's important to integrate technology in the curriculum even if it means being challenged by how it can be done. At my school, it's sad to see that very few integrate technology in the core classes (Math, History, Science) even though we have a computer lab and Internet access on campus. What I've noticed is that teacher are reluctant to include technology in the learning process because they don't know how to evaluate and assess assignments based on technology. Meanwhile, our students -- who are digital natives -- suffer for this.

    Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete